BLOOM Frequently Asked Questions
What does BLOOM do?
BLOOM makes sustainable materials for footwear and other consumer products using waste algae.
Where does BLOOM manufacture?
We manufacture all our materials at our headquarters in Meridian, MS.
Where does BLOOM source its algae?
BLOOM uses algae from wastewater treatment facilities in the US. This prevents algae blooms from happening downstream since the pollution/nutrients are intercepted before being released into the environment.
What are the benefits of using algae?
- Algae is the fastest growing plant on earth, making it one of the most renewable resources on our planet
- Algae captures more carbon and generates more oxygen than all the forests combined
- Algae cleans water and air by sucking up pollution in the water and air
- Algae has natural plastic-like qualities
- Algae does not require land to grow, which means no deforestation, fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides
How much algae is in my product?
The amount of algae in a product will vary depending on the performance requirements. A typical range is 2.5-15% algae content.
What are eco-facts™?
BLOOM’s eco-facts™ are product-specific and show how much water was cleaned and restored to the environment and how much air was cleaned of Co2. These numbers are based on data taken from our third party conducted and peer reviewed Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
Is there any performance loss?
No. Algae has natural, plastic-like qualities, which allows it to be formulated to meet a brand’s performance needs.